Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Black Water


I got this awesome mug for christmas a while back, the aperture thermal-insulation liquid-storage-and-transferral device. It's actually quite a beauty to behold, like a piece of smoothly carved obsidian. Whatever moderately transparent liquids I put in it instantly take on it's smooth, black sheen, it's a little off-putting, like some sort of demonic chalice of unchangable corruption. Except not. My asked me if I'd like some tea today, I said "no thanks." He made me some tea anyway, and then forgot he made it, the teabag sitting there in the mug like a benign tumour. Bless him for making me tea anyway though! Decided to drink it anyway, no sense letting tea go to waste. What passed my lips was a truly unique experience, a very bitter brew as dark and souless as the mug that housed it. Black Water. Whenever Ihear about Jesus drinking God's bitter cup of Wrath on our behalf, I'll remember this tea.

Hey! Remember in book 6 of harry potter when Dumbledore drank that horrible liquid to get to the locket, the horcrux?

Jeremiah 25: 15-16:  15 This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, said to me: "Take from my hand this cup filled with the wine of my wrath and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. 16 When they drink it, they will stagger and go mad because of the sword I will send among them."
Just realised that now looking for the biblical quote on The bitter cup of God's wrath. 

Dumbledore drank the bitter cup of madness and suffering in Harry's place. Aw JK Rowling, you are a master of biblical allusion!  <3 Dumbledore. 

1 comment:

Nicoley said...

I love that woman. I was explaining to my Dad why the Harry Potter series is fantastic and I got overwhelmed by her writing genius.

Take that Myer!

But my Habitat mug is better. It's a proper builder's mug :D I think I'll blog about it sometime!